The mission of the Lotus Family of Restaurants in Marin County is to create contemporary healthy Indian cuisine for Marin County and the San Francisco North Bay in the most environmentally friendly way possible using the finest local sustainable and organic ingredients.
In 2014, Lotus Cuisine of India was certified as a Bay Area Green Business by the County of Marin. This is a certification given to businesses that have been audited and shown to have business practices that protect, preserve and sustain the environment.
Through its continued effort to making the restaurant green and sustainable, Lotus has now won the 2016 Joe Garbarino Green Business of the Year Award from the San Rafael Chamber of Commerce.
“The Joe Garbarino Green Business Award recipient is celebrated for demonstrating extraordinary efforts to embed sustainable practices in their business operations and philosophy. This year, we received an impressive selection of 30 candidates from a diverse group of industries. All of the organizations nominated are doing extraordinary work in our community; making a difference and keeping our local economy strong.
Over 450 top business leaders, community organizers and elected officials in Marin County joined us at the annual State of the City dinner on Thursday, March 3rd at Peacock Gap to celebrate the accomplishments of these companies and to honor this year’s winners. The Joe Garbarino Green Business of the Year was awarded to Lotus Family of Restaurants”.
This recognition is based on many improvements in environmental management practices implemented by Lotus in recent years are:
• Mostly vegetarian and vegan dishes
• Conversion of menu to organic food (over 80% certified organic ingredients)
• Conversion to gluten free and non-GMO ingredients
• State-of-the-art energy-efficient kitchen with environmentally friendly “Energy Star” appliances
• Water Conservation efforts
• Remodel of facilities with energy efficient lighting
• Switch to using organic and non GMO ingredients
• Sponsoring and supporting local and global green organizations including: San Rafael Clean, Bioneers Conference, Marin Organic, Earth Day Marin and Marin Green Drinks
• Member of Marin Clean Energy’s (MCE) Deep Green Program providing Lotus with 100% renewable energy
• Offer discount to encourage customers to bring their own containers for take-out and leftovers.